Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's okay, don't get up. I'll introduce myself from here.

Hi, my name is Laura.  I know, you're thinking "Why the hell should I care who you are?".  It's okay, I get it.  Let me tell you why I'm here, and you can decide for yourself.

We all have those moments.  You know, the ones I described.  Those moments in life when you just absolutely cannot believe that you just saw someone do something so utterly stupid....those moments when your jaw dangles ever so gracefully open, and you're so stumped by what's happened that you accidentally walk into a door because you've stared at it so long.  Yes.  I've done that.  I've done that a lot.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't want you to think that I'm functioning under some delusion that I never make mistakes.  I make a lot of them.  And I'll be sure to discuss them here as well, because I truly believe that if you can't laugh at yourself, you are going to be really upset when other people walk into a wall staring at your stupid mistake.

Case in point: yesterday while I was doing laundry at the laundromat (which, by the way, will get some attention in my next post), I stopped into the neighboring coffee shop for a snack.  Okay, I really did it to escape the dotty old woman in the laundromat who seemed to not get the hint that I was not up for conversation.  Anyway, I had set the alarm on my cell phone to alert me when my wash was finished, and then promptly forgot that I had done this.  I was in line at the coffee shop, my brain firmly wrapped around the very important debate: ginormous chocolate chip cookie vs. blueberry muffin, when I heard this really irritating beep coming from somewhere nearby.  Everyone was annoyed by the sound, especially me.  Oh yeah.  It was MY phone.  And then I couldn't get it to turn off.  I could hear the snickers behind me and could practically hear someone thinking "you total dumbshit".  I shared a laugh over it with the person at the counter,  and went back to the laundromat.


Okay, if you're still awake and still reading, you may be wondering why I chose the name I did for this blog.  As a woman who works from home and has four kids and one really irritating cat, I tend to spend my days sitting in front of the tv, eating bon-bons all day while my maid vacuums for me.  Oh wait.  No I don't.  I spend my days running in circles, singing along with Sesame Street, and hoping like hell I have time to take a shower.  Why would I choose to spend a few minutes writing for perfect strangers?  Because every last detail of my life is precariously balanced, I live my life on a highwire of sorts, and I need to get some of these things out of my head, or I will come crashing down from said highwire, and that will not be pretty (but possibly entertaining).
I also think that we all benefit from a few moments of laughter, whether it be at our own expense or someone else's.

So, I ask you to read and enjoy, laugh and cry, comment or don't, and I hope this journey is as fun for you as it is for me!

4 comments:

  1. Bravo!! Love the title too!, Here's to looking up your dress...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a dollar for every time I couldn't get my cell phone alarm to turn off... and I get laughed at because I am (was) an "IT Person" and, as such, magically adept at all things electronic, from alarm clocks to fax machines to every single piece of software that was ever made, or ever will be made. I am also, apparently, the first resource to go to when you need to know what the best online dating site is, even though I have been very happily married for almost 11 years, and when you need to know what kind of digital camera to buy, even though I can barely work mine and it was purchased for me by my husband. Oh! I also know *every* person in Ithaca who is a tech person, and, like me, they are expected to spew forth insightful technical competence for free, at any time.
    Whoops. I guess I needed to vent. Anyway, great post and I look forward to more! I'll try to control myself next time ;)

    ReplyDelete